VIRAL MEDIA, FEATURE JOURNALISM, & VIDEO PRESENTATION
Podcasting Guest Appearances
- VIDEO GAME JOURNALIST:
Multiple articles featured on the front page of The Guardian website
Winner of “Rising Star” at the 2015 Games Media Awards
One of MCV’s 30 Under 30 in 2015
Nominated for “Rising Star” at the Women in Games Awards 2016
Nominated for “Games Critic” and “Best Podcast” at the Games Media Awards 2016
- VIDEO GAME PRESENTER AND HOST:
BAFTA Games host
Founded Xbox On, Xbox UK’s YouTube channel
Resident Speaker at VideoBrains
Sky News Swipe guest host
Attended Swedish game developer camp Stugan as the in-house Video Host
Co-host of Toku Podcast, which has been featured on several “Best Podcast” lists
EDUCATION & ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENTS
BA IN CLASSICS (HONS): 2:1 EXETER UNIVERSITY (2013)
Including modules in Latin, Ancient Greek, Italian and Theology and a dissertation on the translations of Catullus.
Various relevant extracurricular activities include:
- PRESENTER, EDITOR, PRODUCER – EXETER UNIVERSITY TV (XTV) (SEP 2012-AUG 2013): Learned the basics of video production, presented, scripted, produced and edited several shows, including the news, a romantic drama, & a one-off baking show, Crumbs (turns out baking is much more stressful than you might think). Additionally partnered with fellow XTV student to create a NaSTA-award-winning video game series, a fantastic learning experience with significant positive career impact.
- FILMING – NASTA & UNI ELECTIONS (APRIL 2013-MAY 2013): Was an on-stage camerawoman at the National Student Television Awards, hosted by Exeter Uni in 2013, which involved a week of training to walk backwards on a stage for 3 hours without falling off (which I managed very well), as well as at the university elections a few weeks later.
- WRITER, COLUMNIST, & EDITOR – EXEPOSÉ NEWSPAPER (SEP 2010-OCT 2013): Prolifically wrote for Exeposé, my university newspaper. Composed roughly 30 articles over three years on Gaming, Reviews, mental health and various other topics like Lifestyle as well as film & theater criticism. Additionally, assisted in the creation of an exposé on cocaine use on campus.
FREELANCE WRITER/HOST – VARIOUS (2013-PRESENT)
Freelance journalist for The Guardian, Buzzfeed, VICE, Rock Paper Shotgun, Red Bull, GamesRadar+, PC Gamer, Rolling Stone, Paste Magazine, GamesMaster, Edge, CVG, Official Nintendo Magazine, Official Xbox Magazine, Official Playstation Magazine, AskMen UK, International Business Times, Eurogamer, TechRadar, Kotaku, and Maclife.
- TOKU PODCAST: I host a Games Media Award-nominated podcast with fellow games journalist, Holly Nielsen. We also take care of the planning, social media, editing and publishing of the podcast, which is currently sponsored on Acast.
- HOST: I have hosted events for BAFTA Games and given talks and hosted panels at VideoBrains, Stugan, GameCity, IndieCade Europe, EGX and Pocket Gamer Connects.
VIDEO PRESENTER/PRODUCER – GAMESPOT (SEP 2015-MAY 2016)
Worked for GameSpot UK doing on-site production and presenting; worked with colleagues in the UK, US and Australia.
- Remit included planning, writing, filming, producing and presenting everything from viral content to bespoke shows on gaming and entertainment.
- Created daily news videos as needed in response to emerging events in gaming, often with very short notice.
VIDEO PRESENTER/PRODUCER – XBOX ON (MAR 2015-AUG 2015)
Headhunted to be one of three presenters for the newly-created Xbox On, the YouTube channel for Xbox in the UK.
- Helped run the channel by creating and scripting news, features and silly videos as well as covering major events like E3 and Gamescom. We also ran regular livestreams on Twitch.
STAFF WRITER – OFFICIAL XBOX MAGAZINE (SEP 2014-FEB 2015)
Ran OXM’s website, social media and previews section.
- Routinely created columns, reviews, and various other features
- Covered and attended industry events, including trips to studios in the UK and abroad, and reviewed events such as GamesCom.
- Ran tongue-in-cheek back page including creating loads of terrible jokes/puns about video games.
STAFF WRITER – OFFICIAL NINTENDO MAGAZINE (FEB 2014-AUG 2014)
Hired as ONM’s Staff Writer six months after graduating to write reviews, features, news, etc.
- Large responsibilities for numerous aspects of the magazine as one of two active staff members near the end of ONM’s publication history.
- Ran monthly feature called Countdown showcasing 10 different pieces of fan-created art, cosplay and (occasionally) SNES-themed furniture.